Monday, November 16, 2009

A Case of the Monday's: My Life as a Musical

Hello my blogging friends and welcome to the inaugural post in my weekly series--A Case of the Mondays. I hope that picture to the right doesn't disturb you from reading this post, especially if it made you think this was going to be a review of the Marilyn Manson's most recent concert at the Santa Barbara bowl (I think that's actually coming from Pruett later this week). But anyway back to the picture, its from a genre of music and performance that has never been discussed here on hiplectic--Broadway Musicals. Yes Jimmy--the keeper of the corner house kitten (rip)--your right, this picture is from Cats, arguably one of the most famous musicals of our lifetime. Clayton and I grew up on musicals. Every morning Pam would be blasting (and singing along) to some Broadway performance. Nonetheless, I actually enjoyed the CD's (minus Mom singing)--particularly the fact that the music was pretty decent, but more importantly that there was perfect cohesion and flow between songs. Although the majority of mainstream music (at least rap) fails to even come close to matching the fluidity of a musical, the select few of albums that do are (in my book) cold stone classics. At the top of the ranks rests BIG's Ready to Die (download) which fades in with a skit depicting the birth, childhood, teenage years, arrest, and release from prison. This sets up the a cohesive theme of BIG in the past, today and future which underlies every song. If you haven't listened to this album all the way through, quit farming for 45 minutes and do it. Other albums which have 'listen straight through without ever being tempted to press play potential' (LSTWEBTTPPP) include Nas's Illmatic (download) and 50 Cent's Get rich or die trying (DOWNLOAD on second thought, if you don't have this album, just die). Back to my fascination with musicals beyond their innate ability to depict a story in a cohesive manner, I always thought it would be kinda cool to have a tap-dance-off like in west-side story when the Sharks brawl the Jets. I am not by any means condoning standing up in the middle of your geography midterm , standing on your desk while raising your blue-book above your head, and start interpretive dancing on your fold out table while twirling your number 2 pencil like its a baton--nope sorry folks, thats reserved for Rhythmic Gymnasts in the Olympics. Anyway, if I'm ever accidentally drugged with a psychedelic (dont get any ideas landy and matt) and my life suddenly turns into a musical (Well i guess it did over Halloween weekend as a reuslt of 1 too many Banquet Beers) I am pretty sure I would Chromeo following me around (of course with my back up dancers too)

Untitled from on Vimeo.


(PASSWORD TO WATCH IS: snow)

Here are some of the highlights from their album and a full link to their album as well



Chromeo – Momma’s Boy from leomelofon on Vimeo.

4 comments:

ck said...

that video is fucking amazing. great choreography guys.

Jimms said...

Damnit DK! How are you gonna set the standard for weekly posts like that? Fuckin over-achiever. MEEEOOOOOWWWWW

VISKI said...

My case has been cured

goose said...

I'm really diggin that video. really mad my day...nice footwork jimms